Mr. McDougall began his law career as a clerk to the Honorable Joseph A. Smyth in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, focusing on civil litigation and family law disputes.
From there, he was hired as an Assistant District Attorney for Montgomery County, where he specialized in homicides and major narcotics prosecutions. He performed this work for three years, until he and his family relocated to San Mateo County, California.
In California, he was hired by James P. Fox as a Deputy District Attorney. In his four years in this role, Mr. McDougall handled almost every type of criminal case, including homicides and major narcotics. He also spent his final two years in this role in the Sexual Assault unit.
Since leaving the District Attorney’s office in 2006, Mr. McDougall has formed his own practice, focusing on providing litigation for criminal and civil clients and specializing in real estate and criminal law.
- Widener University School of Law ‐ Juris Doctor, 1997
- Brown University ‐ Bachelor of Arts, History & Education, 1993
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- California Public Defender’s Association
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- San Mateo County Trial Lawyer’s Association
Selected Teaching Experience
- College of Notre Dame, Belmont, CA: “Criminal Justice and Defense” ‐ 2007
- Canada College, Redwood City, CA: “Issues in Criminal Justice ‐ A Case Study” ‐ 2005-2006
- San Mateo County Rape Trauma Services, Burlingame, CA: “San Mateo County Sexual Assault Protocol” ‐ 2003
Ms. Sullivan attended California State University in Sacramento, where she received her Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice. She also holds an Associate’s degree in Paralegal Studies. Ms. Sullivan has worked as a paralegal with Mr. McDougall since 2011. She is a certified notary and belongs to the National Notary Association. Ms. Sullivan has successfully petitioned for expungements in most counties in California.